Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Revisiting Salinger

I discovered an old copy of Catcher in the Rye that I didn't recognize, much less know that I had, so I decided to re-read it.


I really don't know when I read it before - I'm certain it was before 1975.

I didn't remember any of it, though. I really didn't.

The relationship between Holden and his sister Phoebe really reminded me of Anthony and Grace in the movie 'Bottle Rocket'. That killed me. It always does when you notice something like that, and it can't be an accident. Some phony makes a goddam movie with an older brother and a sister in it, and you can tell that he lifted them from a book everybody has read, you really can.

Anyway, all of the lousy stuff that happened to Holden Caulfield makes me feel kinda depressed. I don't know if I can explain it. I don't think I want to, anyway. I really don't.

I swear to God I'm a madman

2 comments:

alslee said...

My service problem, I think. I try again.
Was he is the tub reading letter. Did ma come in and talk and smoke, or was that another book also. Not being funny. Just old and dumb. :-(

the EvaDewer said...

I felt the same way (depressed) upon re-reading CitR a few years ago. I found Holden to be a hopeless, helpless character, but identified with him at some level, though not to the degree that I did many years ago.