Friday, August 19, 2005

Lapti Nek

A couple of years ago, my friend Jim (maybe yours, too) put together a three-disk set of mix CDs. The last song on the "Sea Life" disk was listed as only as a "surprise". I really liked the song, but never did know who or what it was.

That was also one of the songs that grew on my daughter from those disks. Recently, she even mentioned on a couple of occasions that it might be fun to use as a dance number.

During the Independance Day vacation that my family took at a wonderful "cabin" (really, pretty sweet digs) on the north edge of Georgia, my sister happened to hear the tune, and wondered aloud what language it was in.

It had never occured to me that it wasn't in English, really, but I've been listening much more closely since then, and just can't make out any of the lyrics.

So today, I IMed Jim, and asked him. Since it had been so long since he made the disks, he wasn't sure he could recall, so we had to do some back and forth before we were sure we were talking about the same song.

Well, wonder no more. The song is Lapti Nek, from Return of the Jedi. The language is, get this Huttese. Go figure. Mister meddle seems to have stricken it from existence as best he could; it isn't on the newer soundtrack.

2 comments:

Gock said...

Ok, so it was actually "Special secret song"

davidly said...

Sounds really cool. Well, I haven´t actually heard the song that I know of. It makes me wonder how much I´m missing out on, in not being an even bigger geek!