Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Ain't the tropics grand?

Among the requirements for a US citizen to apply for residency as a retiree in Costa Rica is a criminal background check. (citation needed)
To initiate this background check, you need to get a fingerprint kit from the GBI, take the kit to any qualified law enforcement office in the State, and return the kit to the GBI, along with the applicable fees (including the one for the blank fingerprint kit). You will also need to provide the means for return mailing of the document.

The GBI will complete the search and provide you with a Certificate, which will have been notarized.

Costa Rica requires that you obtain "authentication" of the document under jurisdiction of the Secretary of State (of the State). What this means is that the notarization of the document needs to be examined and compared to the signature on file for that notary.

The SoS has placed that responsibility/authority with Georgia Superior Court Clerks' Cooperative Authority (GSCCCA), as stated by the SoS here:
http://sos.georgia.gov/administration/notary.htm
(Thereupon, the SoS also points out that notaries are commissioned by County.

The GSCCCA website confirms and details the responsibilities:
http://www.gsccca.org/Projects/apost.asp

"If a document, intended for a non-Hague Convention Treaty country, requires authentication via the Great Seal, notarial certification is performed by the clerk of superior court in the Georgia county where the notary public is commissioned, not the Georgia Superior Court Clerks’ Cooperative Authority.


I also confirmed this by phone with two knowledgeable employees at GSCCCA.

In our case, the Notary Public was commissioned in Henry County. I combed their web site, but couldn't find specifics of this service.
http://www.co.henry.ga.us/SuperiorCourt/CourtClerk.shtml
To confirm, I contacted them by phone (mostly to make sure I got the right mailing address). A knowledgeable employee confirmed that they provide the Notary Authentication service, and informed me that I needed to send the following:

- The notarized Certificate
- $2.50 per Certificate (cash, check, or money order)
- SASE

to:

Superior Court
No. 1 Courthouse Square
McDonough, GA 30253

I took it upon myself to include a written explanation of the request, as well.

6 comments:

alslee said...

I wish you did the research on all sites in all cases. Life would be much easier for everyone.

alslee said...

Hey Gock, you should see what it is like to try to open a bank account. Take my money, please....

alslee said...

UPDATE: All required documents submitted May 1, 2010. Today is September 19, 2011. Still waiting approval, or a word of encouragement. At least I haven't been rejected, which the USA does to citizens from here who apply to visit there.

alslee said...

Dec 09, 2011 Several days ago I was notified by email that my residency application had been approved. When I return to CR next week, I will go ARCR (the agency handling my residency stuff in Costa Rica), schedule appointments with the CR immigration office, sign the papers and get my CEDULA (residency card, sort of like a social security card in the US.) Of course there are fees to pay etc. I will update you when the CEDULA is actually in my hot little hand.

alslee said...

I have read that Costa Rica has decided to abide by the Hague Convention rules now.

alslee said...

January 5, 2012. The rest of the story. This morning I went to immigration at 9AM, was directed to the special entrance for special people (I qualify for old) (anciano ;>)), and was called first, within 3 minutes. I showed the lady my receipts and waited, maybe, 5 minutes, while she entered stuff into her computer. She took my picture and handed me back my stuff, said wait in the lobby for and hour and we will call you with your cedula. I waited 45 minutes, was called and handed a cedula. I left and by 10AM was back at my hotel.
Case closed.
I pay $50.00 per month to be a member of the national health system. It covers everything, hospital, surgery, emergency room visits, prescription drugs and doctors visits.
The cedula is also my national ID card, gets me free rides on local buses (because I am una anciana), discounts on countrywide buses and discounts in some stores. Oh, and some education free or discounted, if I need it. I cannot take a job that a citizen could do, but I could work for an American company here.
Thanks to all who helped.
How does it go in the US for a foreigner who wants to be a resident there?